The most nerve-wracking part of a pageant can be answering the on-stage question. It’s the ultimate test of how you react to the unknown and being put on the spot. Here’s our tips for successfully answering your on-stage question portion of your pageant:
1) Take a deep breath – We’ve all seen the articles and videos of on-stage pageant question disasters. These girls more than competent and intelligent, but the nerves get the better of them. We’ve got a million thoughts running through our head, so take a deep breath, relax, and clear your head before you start.
2) Actively listen – Since we are nervous and are thinking about a lot things, we sometimes forget to listen. Pay close attention to the question so you know exactly what they are asking.
3) Be concise – You often have 30 seconds to give your answer. Make sure you are concise, but still explain and back up your opinion. Be sure not to be repetitive.
4) Be confident – There is no right or wrong answer when you are giving your opinion, so whatever your answer is, make sure you are confident about it. A great answer will not seem the same if you aren’t confident about what you are saying.
5) Pay attention to your body language – Be aware of how you’re standing and where your hands and feet are placed. Also be aware of what your facial expressions are doing.
6) Be prepared – Although you won’t be able to guess what question you will be asked, there are still ways you can prepare. Make sure you know what type of questions will be asked. When in doubt, check with your director. Practice answering those types of questions, while paying attention to the items listed above.
Now you can relax and take some of the uncertainty out of the dreaded on-stage question!